DECATUR, Ga. — Sherrell Anderson said being able to receive tainted water is some relief, after not having running water to her home for two days.
“No one saw this coming,” Anderson told Channel 2′s Ashli Lincoln.
On Christmas Day, she said faucets ran dry at every home in her Ellenwood neighborhood.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
“The advisory says to boil water, so that’s what we’re doing — we’re boiling water now,” she said.
Her neighbor, Derrick Akins, said his water is barely flowing.
“I just want answers,” Akins said.
DeKalb County issued a boil order advisory for some parts of the county.
DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management (DWM) crews are working to repair nine water main breaks at the following locations:
- Greenwood Place, Decatur
- Electric Avenue, Decatur
- East Ponce De Leon, Scottdale
- West Hampton Circle, Tucker
- Hammond Drive, Dunwoody
- Hardee Avenue, Chamblee
- Rowland Road, Stone Mountain
- I-85 and Shallowford
- Tucker Industrial Road and Florence Street, Tucker
Crews are on-site to assess the breaks and have begun repairing the broken water lines.
The watershed department told Channel 2 that all of the water delivered to customers pushes out of the county’s water treatment plant in North Dekalb.
Because there have been multiple water lines breaks in just 48 hours, it’s reducing flow to several communities that are located miles away from these water line breaks, including this Ellenwood community.
To serve customers affected by these water main breaks, DeKalb County has opened four sites to distribute water.
- ‘Heartbreaking tragedy:’ Family mourns loss of father and son killed in Christmas Day
- Citing structural problems, Georgia state park closes hotel
- Hearing delayed for ex-DA charged in wake of Arbery killing
Residents can pick up water at the following locations while supplies last:
- County Line-Ellenwood Library, 4331 River Road, Ellenwood, GA 30294, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Scott Candler Library, 1917 Candler Road, Decatur, GA 30032, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Tucker-Reid H. Cofer Library, 5234 LaVista Road, Tucker, GA 30084, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Exchange Park Recreation Center, 2771 Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA, 8:00 pm – 9:00 am
A boil water advisory remains in effect for two areas of DeKalb County:
- Area 1, which is south of Henderson Road, north of Rockbridge Road, east of I-285, and west of the DeKalb/Gwinnett County line
- Area 2, which is south of East College Avenue, north of Linecrest/County Line Road, east of City Atlanta border and west of I-285.
For more information, contact the DeKalb County Watershed Department at 770-270-6243.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
©2022 Cox Media Group